Terms and Conditions
12 Song Challenge 2024
The 12 Song Challenge is an friendly and encouraging online community focused on writing Christian congregational songs. We define those as songs where the most important voice is that of the church congregation. We sometimes venture into other territory, and not every song works out as congregational as others, but that’s what we’re all here to do.
The community is made up of people from a diverse range of contexts, denominations and theological perspectives. It is a place for rich collaboration and critique in songwriting, but not for theological debate.
Interactions must always be kind, generous and constructive. We rarely if ever have any issues with this, but the forums are moderated and we reserve the right to take down posts and comments.
The challenge is open only to those who are 18 years or over on 1 January 2024.
Ownership of Songs
Songs are shared and contributions offered on the understanding that:
- the original author of a song remains the only recognised author, unless they have explicitly invited a co-write with another participant
- participants offer suggestions and critique to others in the knowledge that those contributions are given freely and will not result in co-authorship of a song
- neither Resound Worship nor its umbrella charity the Song & Hymn Writers Foundation can claim any ownership of songs, files, text and ideas added to the 12 Song Challenge online platform
Use of Songs
Resound Worship may include songs and recordings from the challenge in the monthly Resound Worship Songwriting Podcast, which is publicly available.
Finished songs may be included in an online songbook which is available exclusively to challenge participants.
Those who successfully complete the challenge will have the opportunity to include one song in the printed yearbook which is distributed to other successful challenge finishers.
Where participants wish to use songs by other writers in their own church worship they will be governed by the relevant copyright laws in their territory and required to seek permission from each other or report to appropriate licensing bodies.
Any other use of songs arising from the Challenge will require permission from the authors.
Payments and right to cancelOne-off subscriptions
- Full payment will be taken at the moment of signing up to the Challenge
- Users have a right to cancel, with a full refund, before 19 February 2024 or within 50 days of signing up, whichever is later.
- Access to the 12 Song Challenge community platform will be revoked at the time of cancellation.
- For sign-ups before 1 January 2024 the first payment will be taken on 1 January and on the first day of every subsequent month.
- For sign-ups after 1 January 2024 your first payment will be taken immediately and on the corresponding day of every subsequent month until the end of the challenge.
- Users may cancel at any time. There will be no refund of monthly payments already made but any subsequent payments will be cancelled.
Retention of Data
Files and text that are uploaded or added during the monthly challenges will remain on the platform beyond that season, for as long as the organisers determine, to be accessed only by participants in that season of the challenge.
In the event of a mid-season cancellation, files and text uploaded during monthly challenges will still remain visible to remaining participants.